that all changed when i got a shiny new ibook g4 this past september. mac os x has opened up an whole new world of options. and when freemacware.com sponsored a contest for recommending your favourite freeware, i thought, 'why not?' here are five freebies i wouldn't do without; click on the name of the app to find more information and a link to download:
- camino. this is my current browser of choice; it's quick and elegant — like my mac. honourable mention here is firefox; not quite as elegant, but also based on the gecko rendering engine and ultra-extensible.
- quicksilver. it's a launcher and so much more. it's one of those pieces of software that can actually change the way you use your computer.
- stuffit expander. i almost hesitate to include this, as it is so ubiquitous as to be assumed, but i couldn't live without it. it expands all of that compressed free software i download!
- vienna. i never even heard of rss before os x, but i've had fun catching up. this is a stable, well-designed reader.
- textpander. this app allows you to type in an abbreviation (usually for an frequently used bit of text, like your name or address) and expands it. could save a lot of typing.
you may note that there are no games in my list. i simply haven't found many free games that i like for os x, a real change from previous versions of the mac os. if you have some you'd recommend, i'm all ears!